New Line Cinema
If this is the 100th “Best Christmas Movies” story you’ve stumbled across then let me just say that this one is different. Yes, I’m aware that they all say that, but our list of the best Christmas movies of all time are based on ratings from IMDb and research by PoundToy, and if you’re a movie buff, then you never watch anything that has a lower rating than 7 on the directory.
In 2021, there’s an abundance of festive films to choose from. From Netflix’s feel good originals to Lifetime’s cheesy romances. When it comes to holiday movies, we really are spoiled for choice.
But if you’re anything like me, then you choose to watch your favourites year on year, because there’s something nostalgic about watching the Christmas movies you grew up with.
From Home Alone to Elf, it seems nothing beats the classics. Now, don’t expect a 10/10 rating for any of these movies, since it seems most of the people who rate films on IMDb are Scrooges, but anything above a 6.5 is pretty solid for a Christmas movie.
Also, it’s important to note that Dr Suess’s classic Christmas tale The Grinch has placed 14th on the list, despite being the most popular festive movie in Australia.
So, because I know your curiosity is peaking, here are the highest-rated Christmas movies of all time.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) – 8.0/10
- Miracle on 34th Street (1947) – 7.9/10
- A Christmas Story (1983) – 7.9/10
- The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) – 7.7/10
- Home Alone (1990) – 7.6/10
- Arthur Christmas (2011) – 7.1/10
- Elf (2003) – 7.0/10
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) – 6.9/10
- The Polar Express (2004) – 6.6/10
- The Santa Clause (1994) – 6.5/10
So there you have it! Look, if it were up to me then The Santa Clause would be at the top of the list, and Christmas With the Kranks would be No. 2. But hey, I don’t make the rules.